Thursday, April 5, 2012

Will Cain Be Able... to Peform?

Major League Baseball payroll always has its astonishing moments. Most recently, we read the news of San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain signing a contract extension for $112.5 million over five years. That puts his total contract as it stands now at $127.5 million, the priciest contract ever for a right-handed pitcher. And let's not forget, this guy is San Francisco's number two starter.

But the big elephant question in the room is will he perform up to his $$$? Now, there's always the chance of injury, just like in football. But with baseball being a less perilous sport despite more games, I'm sure it can be pretty tempting for a pitcher making that much to sit on the money, so to speak. Let's look at the stats.

Personally, I think Cain had arguably as good a season as Tim Lincecum, the Giants number one starter, did last year. But on paper, you might not see it. Cain was 12-11, but with a 2.88 ERA, better than the 2010 season. He was only 13-11 the year the Giants won it all, and had a perfect 0.00 ERA in the World Series. But when it was time for the Giants to perform last year, and even the year they won the World Series, this picture says it all.

The Giants giving Cain little to no run support each game he'd start became so "regular", it was a sad joke.

Let's look at his current and former teammates. I have to bring up Barry Zito. In 2006, Zito signed a seven-year deal worth $126 million, plus an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout. That was the biggest pitcher's contract ever at the time, and every Giants fan knows he hasn't been anywhere near that expected level of performance since. He currently holds the #4 or #5 spot on the pitching rotation. There's also Jonathan Sanchez, who played with Cain last season. Sanchez is having a mediocre spring, and SF might see that it's good to not have him on the roster this season.

So, did the Giants make a good decision in agreeing to this contract? Ultimately, time will tell. In the short run, I think he will perform well, but I'm going to say no. The contract is too long. I don't think he's worth that much money. As a member of the organization, I'd feel too uncomfortable knowing Cain's got that much time with the team. But to Cain's credit, he had a great spring, 4-0 with a 2.1 ERA in six starts with 26 strikeouts. This is a man who has patiently been performing well for a while now.

Prove me wrong, Cain, may you prove you're more than able. Go Giants!

Giants opening day is Friday @ Arizona, 4pm Pacific on ESPN2. Cain will make his first start Saturday @ 1pm on FOX.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: It looks like Cain won't start the year as the #2 pitcher in the rotation after all. Despite signing that record contract, we now know with Madison Bumgarner's start today, Cain will be at the #3 spot or lower on the Giants starting rotation. Don't expect to see Cain in action today on FOX.

    ReplyDelete

Dan Kulin's bio

My photo
I'm a west coast sports fan who is crazy about sports writing and broadcasting. I've been talking about sports since I was 8, and on the radio since I was 18. I graduated from the Murrow College at Washington State University in 2009 and am working on finishing my Master's. Currently I do TV commentary for local high school sports. Maybe I'm here to change your mind or alter your perspective. (I'm the one on the right in the picture.)