Monday, April 16, 2012

Red Hot Dodgers



We've seen a lot of weird things happen already in 2012 pro baseball.

I'm not just talking about injuries. Take a look at the standings and you'll get the idea. Right now, Baltimore is in first place in the AL East. The Nationals are leading the NL East, and the Mets aren't far behind. The Angels and Red Sox are in last place in their divisions. The Giants and Phillies both have losing records (but they play each other this week, so something's bound to change there).

And the Los Angeles Dodgers are 9-1?!   That's the best record in MLB right now.

It's hard to believe this team went bankrupt last year, and had issues with their TV rights and all. I seriously did not think this team would be worth the $2 billion invested into them during the offseason. Time will tell, but for now, this team is getting the job done on all levels.

The team doesn't just rely on flukes like that triple play last week. Just how are they getting it done?

Two names: Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier. These two, both outfielders, are #1 and #2 in RBI's currently in all of Major League Baseball, respectively. Kemp also currently leads all of MLB in home runs (6) and batting average (.487). Last I heard, these two are responsible for more than half their team's scoring, ten games into the season. Now there's no "I" in offense, but there is in pitching...

The Dodgers are also red hot on the mound. Surprisingly, most of the production has not been from top starter Clayton Kershaw. Going into today, starter Chad Billingsley leads all pitchers in wins and is #2 among all pitchers in ERA (0.63). Plus, Dodgers closer Javy Guerra leads all closers in MLB with five saves. Superb playing on all sides of the baseball.

Kemp and Ethier especially have had seasons of success in the Dodgers abysmal records of the last few years. Kemp nearly won a batting title for the team last year, as L.A. barely finished with a winning record, 3rd place in the NL West. So go ahead and "think blue" when putting together your fantasy team lineup, and go ahead and smile smugly, Magic Johnson. If this team stays healthy, they will be a tough out.

A lot of weird things have happened this baseball season, the weirdest so far might just be me writing a blog praising the Dodgers on their early success.

The L.A. Dodgers are available regionally on FS Prime Ticket.

2 comments:

  1. No i think the weirdest thing to happen was Jonathan Broxton beaning two batters in a row with the bases loaded to tie and then win the game in extra innings. I don't think i have ever seen that before

    ReplyDelete

Dan Kulin's bio

My photo
I'm a west coast sports fan who is crazy about sports writing and broadcasting. I've been talking about sports since I was 8, and on the radio since I was 18. I graduated from the Murrow College at Washington State University in 2009 and am working on finishing my Master's. Currently I do TV commentary for local high school sports. Maybe I'm here to change your mind or alter your perspective. (I'm the one on the right in the picture.)